These bars are the perfect hybrid between a brownie and a snack bar, meaning you can eat them any time of day ; ) Sweetened with just a touch of agave syrup, and a combination of oat flour and rice flour make these totally gluten-free.
Tahini Espresso Caramel Drizzle
To make the caramel drizzle, just combine tahini, freshly brewed espresso, and agave syrup in a small dish, and mix well to combine. The tahini might separate at first when you add the espresso, but keep mixing and it should come back together to form a creamy caramel like consistency.
Gluten-free Flour Blend
I used a blend of oats, rice flour and cornstarch for the base, making these bars totally gluten-free. Plus, the oats add a little bit of extra fiber and add a nice texture to the bars. If you don’t have oat flour on hand, I blended whole rolled oats in my food processor until they formed a floury texture. I like mine with a little bit more texture, but feel free to grind yours more finely.
A brownie without eggs or dairy?
People ask me all the time how to replace eggs and dairy in baking. There are so many great ways like using applesauce, ground flaxseeds or yogurt, but I like to use my leftover aquafaba because it contains a small amount of protein and starches to help with binding, just like an egg. These are a bit more like a bar then a cakey or fudgy brownie, but the rich chocolate taste really reminded me of the classic version.
Using a 70% vegan dark chocolate gives these bars a nice rich chocolatey flavor that pairs perfectly with the espresso for some extra depth.
The combination of tahini, espresso, chocolate and sea salt for a not-too-sweet and rich chocolatey bar. Do you use tahini in sweet applications? Let me know in the comments!
Vegan Chocolate Tahini Oat Bars
- 60g oat flour
- 20g rice flour
- 10g corn starch
- pinch salt
- 3g baking powder
- 125g 70% vegan dark chocolate
- 15g coconut oil, melted
- 30g aquafaba
- 15g freshly brewed espresso
- 30g tahini
- 50g agave
Tahini Espresso Caramel
- 30g tahini
- 15g agave
- 10g freshly brewed espresso
For the Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 180C/356F, and line a 9 x 9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine chocolate and coconut oil and melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals, mixing well in between to avoid burning.
- Once the chocolate is melted and glossy, add the remaining wet ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry, and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Pour into a 9 X 9 baking dish, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and cool completely before drizzling with tahini caramel.
For the Tahini Espresso Caramel:
- Combine all ingredients in a small dish, and mix vigorously until combined. It may separate at first, but keep mixing and it should come back together into a smooth and creamy caramel consistency. Drizzly over cooled brownies. Enjoy!