St. Patrick’s day is next weekend and it’s a pretty big deal in Boston. Typically it’s a time for boiled cabbage, carrots, and potatoes. Don’t get me wrong, I love boiled dinner as much as the next Boston girl, but these smokey, crispy pillows from heaven with bright green creamy dressing might be my new pot of gold (terrible, I know.) This is a definite crowd pleaser and is easy to make into a large batch. My recipe was based on the OhSheGlows recipe for Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Avocado Garlic Aioli. I made mine without oil, added a smoky element, and changed up the dressing a bit. Both versions are sure to be delicious!
Do you ever crave potatoes? I definitely do. There is something so comforting about them whether you opt for mashed, roasted, or as a component in a soup or stew. They can be creamy or crunchy, and serve as the perfect vessel for whatever flavors you throw at them. Both sweet and white potatoes are actually really good for you. White potatoes pack a decent amount of vitamin C, potassium, and vitamin B6. It’s only when we load them up with other stuff that they get the reputation for being unhealthy. I loved this method of boiling then roasting because the insides are soft and creamy while the outer skin gets perfectly golden brown and crispy.
The smoked paprika along with green onions and parsley reminded me of eating a loaded baked potato. The dressing is really creamy, but the lemon juice and garlic give it the perfect zing to balance out the starchy potato, while the parsley lightens everything up. I added tahini and nutritional yeast to give the sauce an even creamier and cheesier feel (without cream or cheese, of course.) The bright green helps remind me that spring is a season and it might show up one day!
To make these into more of a meal, I made a really quick purple cabbage slaw. I chopped up purple cabbage and carrots, then tossed them with some arugula and almonds. It made for a beautiful looking “slaw” which I added a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to. The salad combined with the potatoes complemented each other really well.
Makes 8 delicious potatoes
Smoky Smashed Potatoes
8 medium yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed clean
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons roasted garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch green onions, chopped
Creamy Parsley Dressing
½ ripe avocado
3 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic
Juice from 1 lemon
1 bunch parsley (save a few tablespoons for garnish)
¼ cup nutritional yeast
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450° F. Add potatoes to a large pot and add cold water until they are completely covered. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for 20-25 minutes.
2. When the potatoes are just cooked (but not mushy!), drain them and rinse with cold water.
3. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. When potatoes are completely cooled, dry really well with a towel before placing them on the baking sheet. Using the bottom of a mug, lightly but firmly press down on each potato until it has flattened.
4. Sprinkle smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper over potatoes, and roast until the outsides have browned, about 30 minutes.
5. While the potatoes are roasting, prepare the dressing by combining all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
6. When the potatoes are crispy on the outside, remove from the oven and garnish with green onions and parsley. Serve with the sauce and enjoy!