What’s better than having breakfast ready for you when you wake up? Let’s face it, mornings can be hectic. Whether you’re trying to get yourself or your family out the door, it can be hard make a healthy breakfast a priority. That’s when I turn to easy and convenient make ahead meals like chia pudding. This is something I make the night before I know I have an early train to catch. I make everything in a mason jar ahead of time and grab it from the fridge on my way out the door. Be sure to remember your spoon!
Chia seeds are high in ALA which is an Omega-3 fatty acid – the good fats attributed with decreasing inflammation in the body. They’re also incredibly satisfying as they’re packed with fiber and absorb 10 times their own weight in water. This makes them the ideal breakfast food that will curb your hunger through those morning meetings until lunch.
I soaked two tablespoons of chia seeds in 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk overnight. In the morning, give it a quick stir. This is the perfect canvas for whatever flavor variations you like. I chose vanilla and warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom and ginger. I typically stay away from adding any sweetener when I’m adding a topping like delicious Citrus Ginger Pears, but you could add a dash of maple syrup or agave if you like.
The Citrus Ginger Pears are a refreshing, sweet, spicy and crunchy topping for the chia pudding and it’s incredibly easy to make. I tossed the chopped pear in juice and zest of 1 orange, juice of half a lemon and freshly grated ginger. So easy! I added some pomegranate seeds and homemade granola for an extra boost of fiber and crunch. Need a Granola Recipe?
I hope you had an amazing first day of 2017! What are you go to make ahead breakfasts?
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 navel orange, zest and juice
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red pear, chopped
- Pomegranate seeds
- In a jar or bowl, combine chia seeds and almond milk. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, stir the chia pudding well. Add vanilla extract and spices and stir well to combine.
- In a bowl, combine orange juice, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of orange zest and grated ginger.
- Add chopped pears to the juice mixture and toss to coat.
- Spoon pears on top of chia pudding and add pomegranate seeds and granola. Enjoy!